In The Buzz

Where Hip Comes to Die

Tuesday, July 04, 2006

A report for the 4th

So today is once again new music tuesday, however since it is the 4th of July almost nothing new is actually being released. Cex is releasing his latest batch of... well whatever it is he thinks it fucking awesome... its a shame most of the rest of us don't.

This week has been show crazy, Friday I attended a wonderful free show at Prospect Park with Voxtrot, Mat Pond PA, and TV on the Radio. Brookly Vegan has some fantastic photos here to check out.

Voxtrot write some nice songs, but it just didn't come off live... perhaps it was the venue, perhaps it was their sound man (the 1st 2 songs didn't seem to be anything but drums and vocals from what I could tell) or maybe its just that Voxtrot suck live...

Mat Pond PA were boring as fuck as well, though the prospect of a torrential downpour drove them off the stage a little early which was nice...

Finally TV on the Radio came out and suffice to say, tore the roof off that mother sucka... ok so there was no roof to tear off... but still.
It was my first taste of the new material, and I am excited to hear the album. Antibalas Afro Beat Orchestra served as temporary members of the band, fleshing out arrangements with horns and percussion. It was an all around amazing performance from one of the best live bands out there... I keep thinking about about how far they've come since I first saw them open for the Secret Machines at Northsix... They were a fucking mess, and now they're filling ampitheaters and parading around like rock messiahs... and quite convincingly I might add.

Sunday was a night for noise. Webster hall was packed with geeky asian boys and their reluctant girlfriends for a stellar performance by the Boredoms.
Lightning Bolt opened the show, setting up in the middle of the floor as opposed to the stage, by trying to destroy as many ear drums as possible. Thankfully I staked out a place to side of the stack of amps and cabs that allowed me to hear with out suffering permanent damage to my hearing. After Lightning bolt treated us to blasts of fuzzy bassy goodness and spastic drum bursts it was time for the Boredoms to do their thing.
Eye opened by playing what I can only describe as light bulbs. He used his whole body to control the sound, flailing his arms and contorting his torso. I also learned that being a Boredom is exhausting... I was tired and dehidrated just watching them. The worlds most awesome drum circle is an unstoppable force. They burned through complex poly rythms barely pausing for breath before moveing on to the next excercise in percussive interplay. 3 drummers in complete lockstep, playing off of each other like a well seasoned orchestra is certainly a sight to see...

later today I shall be attending a free show at Battery Park by Belle and Sebastian, curtesy of my pal Pat over at pop tarts suck toasted who held a contest to rid himself of 2 extra tickets that he either thakfully or greedily got his hands on... the perspective I suppose lies in whether or not you managed to snag your self one.

0 comment(s):

Post a comment

<< Home