In The Buzz

Where Hip Comes to Die

Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Top 5 Summer Albums

So starting this week I will be posting a top 5 list every Wednesday.
In honor of the solstice, the 1st day of summer I present you with my top 5 summer albums.

5 - Dre Dre - The Chronic

I don't know what is more summery than block parties, forties, and hydraulics. Dre and his indispensable (at least on this album) partner Snoop Doggy Dog capture both the fun in the sun vibe of summer and the tensions that spill in to the inner city streets when the temperatures rise.

4 - Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin II

Something about the combination of John Bonham’s avalanche drums, Jimmy Page’s crushing, searing (sloppy) guitar heroics, and Robert Plant’s sex, drugs, and hobbits vocals makes me feel like I should be driving in a van down a stretch of desert highway, or performing manual labor in the August sun.

3 - Sublime - Sublime

So at this point Sublime is kind of lame… it’s the soundtrack of my high school days, and many a frat party. But it is the very epitome of the summer album… so much so that I only think the album is great from June – September… the rest of the year I think it sucks.

2 - Broken Social Scene - You Forgot It in People

You Forgot It in People is not a beach blanket, sand between your toes summer album… it’s a late night barbeque, cooler full of beer, broken air conditioner summer album. Its urban, suburban, rural all in one. Its full of warm fuzzy sounds that can make any summer night feel complete.

1 - Beach Boys - Pet Sounds

What could I possibly say about this album that you haven't already heard. If you don't know why this is my number one summer album then I don't know why you'd even care to read this list.




Please join in the fun, post you're top 5 in the comments.

5 comment(s):

i completely agree with you but i had to add my 2 cents in just because it's fun, i won't number these because it's not really my top 5, just 5 great Summer albums.

The Faint's "Danse Macabre" is a night of drinking and dancing by the OFF candle in the backyard.
The Shins' "Chutes Too Narrow" is that perfect album for driving with the windows down and the hot breeze blowing through your do.
NOFX's "The Decline" will always be the perfect sing-a-long 20 minute song for any Summer destination, it's my youth and i don't care how many people will make fun of me for it.
The Postal Service's "Give Up" is pantsing your friends by the pool and driving 'til 6am to nowhere just because the Summer sunrise is a must see.
Madonna's "The Immaculate Collection" because Madonna is a warm Summer day.

i didn't put much thought into that list at all, it's just the first albums that popped into my mind and i listened to each of them a great deal in past Summers. so they scream Summer to me. god i hate you Summer.

not to mention just about any pop or new wave song from the 80's is so me putting my speakers in the windows and sitting on my front stoop singing my ass off and baking in the summer sun.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:01 AM  

you know what would also make a good Summer album, Naughty By Nature's Naughty's Nicest. Naughty By Nature has that definite Summer sound for me, it's very playground-esque but having all the hits rounded into one album is perfect.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:23 AM  

I like the new blog Terrance. I have nothing to add to your summer list though, it's pretty much dead on.

By Blogger Pat, at 12:48 PM  

I just realized... since when do you bake in the summer sun??

don't you usually cower in the shade and where long sleeves to avoid the sun?

By Blogger Unknown, at 8:27 AM  

i bake with a nice thick layer of sun block on. their was no shade in the front of my house, otherwise i'd have been in that shit. and if i didn't feel up for baking and sweating it out up front i just put my bedroom speakers in the window and sit out back where it was always shady. :)

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:30 AM  

Post a comment

<< Home