In The Buzz

Where Hip Comes to Die

Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Cursive and my tired Tuesday

In case any one out there is not aware… Mondays are bad nights to go out…
I’m falling asleep in my cubicle.
Cursive was awesome last night, just thought I’d share for those of you who couldn’t be there. Despite my general indifference for the group I found my self thoroughly entertained and engaged. Tim Kasher has the worst case of verbal diarrhea of any front man I’ve ever seen… he just could not shut up.

The openers were less enthralling. La Salle, from Michigan, bills themselves as “post-rock balladeers”… I don’t know what exactly they think “post-rock” is… but I’m pretty sure it is not occasionally scotch taping pieces of Breeders songs to pop emo tracks.

Tim Kinsella of Joan of Arc followed with one of his many projects Make Believe. Tim Shuffled awkwardly around stage looking like a fidgety child with downs syndrome while his companions played what sounded like a high school jazz band tuning their instruments. It is easily one of the worst performances I have ever seen.

Cursive came out however and made everything better, blowing through what seemed like a pretty brief set, but packing ever precious second with uncontainable energy and passion. The replacement Gretta has some serious cello chops, and gets some fantastically grating noises out of that thing.

I haven't seen a show at Bowery in a while... I forgot how great the sound is... makes every other venue seem like shit.

1 comment(s):

i had a ring out your panties good time. y'know after the real show started, those two openers made me want to murder people.

i wonder what ever happened to that dude that we were talking to...

either way whatever happened to him i sure hope he emails you the Thunderbirds Are Now album like he promised.

By Blogger Ana Petree Garcia, at 4:14 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home